Pimple on bikini line, pus-filled, ingrown hair. Any idea?

Hi, I have a pea sized, pink pimple on my bikini line. It first appeared in February and has produced small amounts of pus since then until now. Everytime it dries up I think its just a really stubborn ingrown hair that keeps getting infected, but shortly after it turns pink again and produces pus once again. I am not sexually active at the moment but had been up until March. Protection was always used. There is a lump just below it, pea sized and under the skin as well. Because it persists I am wondering if I should go see my physician about it. Any idea what it could be?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Jul 2012
Dear Bimshirebabe. From your description & time span of the pus filled & discharging lesion, it appears that albeit it probably was an ingrown hair follicle to begin with, it is probably now a sinus tract or fistula in medical terminology that can be ascertained in person by a doctor. Ideally, you may want to consult a general surgeon but a competent dermatologist involved in dermatosurgery would be par for the course. There is no treatment history supplied so i assume you have taken a course of antibiotics for some time or at some point. If the time span is 6 mth going by your history, i honestly do think it is time you saw the good doctor in person! Cheers & best of luck. Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD, Bangalore, India