Persistent boil on the chest area that has gone deep into the skin, is tender and has reddish pink appearance. Infection or scar tissue?

Hello! I had a spot that never formed a head on the top of the body of the sternum, right in the middle.. it was tender like a boil next, then went deep and under the skin, where, 4 years later it still resides, still tender ish, and looks like a thumbnail sized reddish pink bowtie! Everyone who sees it, (it can be seen if I wear a slightly open shirt easily) wonders what it is.. And I d like to know if there s a name for it, and possible treatment. I did try to lance it myself once, after going quite far into it I gave up.. It feels like an infection that s trapped but it could also be scar tissue? not sure..there doesn t appear to be any skin pores there anymore.
Asked On : Fri, 6 Jul 2012