Peroneals subluxing behind malleolus while walking. No pain. Active hiker. Not advised surgery. Opinion?

My two peroneals are subluxing behind the malleolus with respect to each other (intrasheath subluxation ). They do this a handful of times virtually every time I walk, especially going up and down stairs. (A fall from height 6 months ago started all of these problems). Again, this is NOT a case of subluxing all the way over the malleolus, but rather the peroneus longus and peroneus brevis subluxing with respect to each other. There is no pain when it happens and no loud click. I can just feel it. It can be easily felt with a finger palpated to that area as I reproduce it, which is how I showed my orthopaedist. It s rather mild in force (i.e. not a violent or loud snap). My question is, should I get surgery to correct this? My orthopedist was of the opinion that since my ankle was so good right now I m likely to do as much harm as good through surgical attempts, since surgery creates scar tissue , etc. Are there other less invasive options (I though I saw something called tendoscopy somewhere)?? I am extremely active (hiking). My concern is that my peroneals will become weakened if they continue to sublux.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  0 Views:  11 Awaiting Answer