Painful red sore on back of tongue. High lipid level. History of smoking. Is it Tumour?

Hi, I left smoking 1.5 years back, keeps good hygiene . Since yesterday, left side of my back tongue has a red sore like small protuberance, it is paining like anything. But i can move my tongue easily (with pain). I don t remember but i doubt that i chewed my tongue while sleeping once, not sure but. I am scared, is it a tumor? I am 35 years, dont eat or chew tobacco atall. I had full body check up in August this year and they didnt find anything which is not normal other than some high lipid levels. Do you think, i should go to the doctor immediately or wait?
Asked On : Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Welcome to HCM!
I have gone through your question and see that you have a concern regarding a painful red sore on back of your tongue, noticed recently. you have been smoking 1.5 year back and now not taking any kind of substance. your blood tests are normal except high lipids.

What I can say from my clinical experience that it is NOT a tumor, please don't worry like this.To me it appears an infection of some minor salivary gland under the tongue, which are extremely painful and make it difficult to eat food.

however, you should be seeing a doctor and get it checked, as they donot get better on their own in small time and pain is unbearable.

they respond greatly to antibiotics and pain killer. till you visit your doctor, you can put an anaesthetic gel on it to reduce the pain.
Avoid spicy and hot foods as they will irritate it more.

Hope the answer helps you
Feel free to ask more question.