Painful lump on neck, redness, burning sensation. Using ice worsened it. Cure?

WELL YESTURDAY I WOKE UP WITH A LUMP IN THE MIDDLE LOWER TO NECK ARE NOT TOO LOW ANWAY IT WAS PAINFUL IT WAS RED AND AROUND THE LUMP IT WAS BURNING ALL DAY. I PUT ICE WHICH MADE IT WORSE AND IT WAS HARD FOR ME TO GO TO THE DOC OR HOSPITAL SINCE I HAVE A 3 and 4 year old. Him still goung through this Not SIRS if seriouse enough to pay for a bad y sitter.
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012
Hello Dear and thanks for the query
Any lump which fulfills the following criteria needs a medical attention:
1. If lump is painful?
2. Lump increasing in shape and size?
3. If there is any kind of discharge from the lump.
4. Redness or swelling over the lump.

As you have explained the lump is painful you need to get examined by your doctor and get treated according to the diagnosis. You may need a course of antibiotic to recover form it.

Best Wishes