Painful lump in lower left leg. What is this lump?

I have been a runner for many years. I am a senior in high school and was on the varsity cross country team every year. My sophomore year I noticed a lump in my lower left leg. It was very painful especially to touch. I would limp when I ran because of it. The pain went away during the off season but it comes back. The lump is always there byt it gets bigger as i run more. This weekend I ran 3 miles and walked 10 and a half and the lump is back and is very painful. What is this? I m 17 and 110 pounds not overweight and take no drugs .
Asked On : Sat, 19 May 2012
Radiologist 's  Response
May 2014
Thanks for writing in.

It is important to consult an orthopaedic surgeon and get your lump clinically examined. It looks like a benign lump and most likely a ganglion cyst containing fluid. This is an assumption and the precise diagnosis can be made by our doctor after having seen you. Further investigation like X ray, Ultrasound scan or MRI scan might be necessary for better diagnosis.

Hope this helps