Painful jaw line

I have pain on my jaw line which is directly in line with a cavity I have in my tooth do you think is it related ?
Asked On : Mon, 24 Jan 2011
Dentist 's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Definitely, it is related.The pain due to tooth decay can be experienced in the jaw too.very deep cavities might cause abscess and spread in the alveolar bone causing periapical granuloma there.

Therfore please do not ignore and get it examined and treated too.

Hope it helps.

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Painful jaw line which is associated with the cavity may be due to spread of infection through the decayed tooth into the periapical area.

I would advice you to get clinical as well as x-ray evaluation done by a dentist.

Root canal treatment has to be done to remove entire infected pulp.

Take complete course of amoxycillin as well as diclofenac tablets.

Meanwhile,maintain oral hygiene well.

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect that infection from your tooth has spread to the periapical tissues, also check for swelling.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist get the checkup done take x-ray of the affected tooth and start with root canal treatment.
Take complete course of antibiotics and analgeics under the prescription of your Dentist.
Take lukewarn saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses ans maintain a good oral hygiene.

Take care!

Dentist, Prosthodontics Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain's  Response
Hi Chris,
The pain maybe due to the cavity especially if its long standing resulting in spread of infection below the tooth. Please notice if it is also accompanied by swelling. I would strongly recommend you to visit your dentist and get the cavity checked. He will take an xray and decide if it just needs to be filled or root canal is to be done. He may also advice an antibiotic course during the treatment.
Dentist Dr. Varun Mishra's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm,
maximally the dental pain is radiating type of pain.
definitely this cavity is the reason for the same, as the infection has crosed the core of tooth , ie, Pulp.
visit the dentist asap and get the check up done. he will also take one x-ray for that tooth.

Dentist Dr. Jenkins sahayam P's  Response
dear chris
this could be due to the cavity. pain is a warning sign , do not ignore it kindly see your dentist at the earliest to find out if there is nerve involvement of the tooth by the caries which might have infected it and eventually goes for an abscess