Painful bump on foot under skin, red line on ankle. Infection?

I have a bump on my foot that I didn t notice until this morning, I started to walk and it hurt like crazy, and when I looked at it, it looked like maybe a wood splinter or price of gravel stuck under the skin. After I started to walk on it I noticed a red line that divided closer to my ankle. I m concerned because yesterday I was at a lake and was wondering if it could be infection.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012

I t seems that you may be having soft tissue infection or cellulitis of the sole near ankle.

It may be due to bacteria mostly staphylococci contracted in walking at or in lake.

The area affected may be swollen and erythematous. There may be pain and tenderness. Area may be hot.

You consult nearby dermatologist.

You should be investigated to rule out DM,HIV or other immunocompromised. Conditions.

Oral strong antibiotics may be taken for about 2 weeks.

Anti inflammatory drugs may taken.

Immunoboosters may taken to improve immunity.

Hygiene may be improved.

Take bed rest for few days and keep the affected foot elevated.

I hope you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD