Pain, swelling beneath the knee after running. What can this be?

i have pain and swelling after exercising. The pain and swelling is beneath my knee but toward the inside of the leg. Is this a muscle or ligament? It started after running the other night. I now have pain and throbbing there when trying to run on it. I am going to take it easy and let this heal but just wondering what kind of injury this could be since it doesnt seem to be related to my knee at all.
Asked On : Sat, 21 Jul 2012
The region of your knee in which you are having pain is where your hamsting tendons insert - it is called the pes anserinus ('gooses foot' as there are 3 tendons). Occasionalyl a fluid filled sac called a bursae can swell and inflame over or between the tendons - this is called a bursitis. Rest and cold compresses can help and anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen.