Pain in throat, sneezing, slight blood in spit. History of smoking. Irritated sore throat?

Hi
I am 20 years old, and have smoked occasionally since i was 15 or 16. (Occasionally means 4- 5 a day for a few months, then a year quit and now occasionally. I have been smoking recently in the past month because of stress with school.) Around a week ago, my throat began to hurt really bad like I was sick. That was my only symptom though, no fever, no cough, nothing. Also, I am not really a sneezer, but in the past week or two because of pollen I have been sneezing some (About 10 times a day.) Last night I came home from work and was washing my face and spit in the sink (with the taste of mucus) and I notice a small streak of blood in my spit. This scared me, and I began to cough up mucus to see if more blood would come up. After I did this, my spit had a very pink tinge to it, but I wouldn't say that it was dark red or anything. I was very scared and called my mom immediately. She told me that because of pollen and spring-time allergies, I could just had dry sinuses and it be from that, but I think because of my sore throat that the blood is coming from there. Could this be blood from my lungs? Could I have lung cancer? Or is this most likely just from irritating my sore throat from smoking a few cigarettes (4) a day?
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013