Pain in the mouth, reddish throat. Pain while talking. Cure?

Hi my husband has been in a good bit of pain in his mouth and has been about a week. we went to PA and she said his throat did look red and his gland was swollen on that side but told him to get some Chlorspetic and see if it goes away. he is a firefighter who has had lots of injuries and rarely complains. he said it is very uncomfortable and said it urts to talk and after he eats it hurts alot. He first said he thought it was a sore that developed because of snoring and sleeping with his mouth open. However it has not gone away and he is not talking too much due to not wanting it to hurt as much. Today he mentioned the tongue or underneath it. We are not sure wear it is but he is misreable and I don t know how to help! Any thoughts??????
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013