Pain in the abdomen after eating stale food. Dark stools. Need treatment?

I have been having dark stools for 4-5 days. I actually moved from Houston to Austin for work so I took some home cooked food packed and left in a container filled with those thermo packs to keep the food cold while I drive to austin. I am from Pakistani origin so we eat alot of spicy food. I stopped eating that food a couple of days thinking that those thermo packs could have spoiled the food. However, I am still having dark stools. There was minor pain during the days I was eating that food but since I stopped eating it, it has gone. However, I am still having dark sticky stools.
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Welcome to HCM!

On reading your query it looks like that you had an infection after eating that food, it has subsided in some form that you don't have any pain while eating food now, but still the stools are dark and sticky.

I think you should go for an antibiotic course, like cefpodoxime and metronidazole combination, along with Omeprazole 20 mg and domperidone , twice a day. had I been treating you I would also like to see an ultra sound abdomen to check if everything is ok.

Stop spicy food and reduce the oil in diet for some time, this will help in early recovery. go for simple non spicy and semi solid diet--- like khichdi, dalia, semolina etc.

You may need a stool test to check if the dark color is due to blood or some other pigment, this will make things more clear.
so, please see a doctor
hope the reply is helpful
ask more question if there is any problem

Get well soon
Dr. Manisha Gopal