Pain in right arm. Suggested surgery. Advice?

hello,
my right arm down to my little finger is in a lot of pain. I did see a surgeon and was told i need surgery . it will take place in the neck area on the side or front of my neck. i'm really nervous and i want to know is this surgery usually sussecful and how long till i can move again. With christmas coming, i was thinking i would put off untill january but the pain is really hurting me. Is recovery about a month and can i walk the next day. they gave me a neck brace that shocks me to better health and my dr. is dr koen in norfolk va. is he a good doctor?
Asked On : Wed, 9 Oct 2013
Hello.
The pain and numbness in the little finger is likely to be due to a nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine. The response to surgical treatment depends on the degree of the nerve root compression.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal ,
drtayal72@gmail.com