Pain in ribs, spreading to shoulder and arm. Cause?

sometimes i randomly get this pain at the bottom of my left rib, it starts when i breathe in i ll get a really sharp pain that starts at the bottom of my rib and it knocks the breath out of me then when i breathe in again the pain is still there but if i breathe in deep enough i feel a click in my rib then the pain goes away but some times it wont go away and the pain spreads up my left rib and makes the left side of my rib hurt cause me to have to take short breathes and then it will spread down my shoulder and into my left arm , it never lasts longer then 5 minutes, and there are long periods of time between when it happens, what could this be caused by?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012

Thank you for the query.

What are you suffering from is most likely intercostal neuralgia due to rib nerves compression. According to your symptoms, some rib is irritating such nerve. The pain aggravates while chest is moving. As you have noticed, the best way to get rid of it is stretching (looks like it works for you).
However, always when the chest pain appears, heart condition should be checked. You can do that with heart ECG.

Hope this will help.