Pain in middle of back, swelling in spine, taken Motrin. Muscle pull?

My son, who is 17, started complaint that the middle of his back is hurting and hurts inward towards his chest . I had him take Motrin and he took a nap. When he woke up the pain was worse and when I looked at his back I noticed that there is swelling around the spine in that area. He said it started at lunch today when his girlfriend tried to tickle him. Could he have pulled a muscle and it cause swelling?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
From description , it seems he might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over back .
Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.