Pain in jaw joint. Inflamed lymph node? Why does it crunch when wide? Related to tooth problems?

Hello, I m an early 40s male, experiencing pain near the jaw joint , left side. Feels like an inflamed lymph node (sensitive to touch and slightly inflamed), but I don t think there s a lymph node there. Could be an inflamed muscle? That s what it feels like if I massage it. I ve investigated from inside the mouth and all seems fine there as the pain is further back than where the wisdom teeth would be. There s a slight crunching sound if I fully extend my jaw (open my mouth all the way). This started a few days ago, after which it seemed to clear up for a couple and then came back. It s becoming a consistent ache, as if the end stages of dentist s freezing is coming out, just won t go away. Questions: 1) Could it simply be muscular? 2) There doesn t seem to be a tooth related problem, grabbing teeth and gums back there causes no pain. Is the dentist the best to see next? It s after-hours now, can this wait? Thanks for your time and attention to this.
Asked On : Fri, 6 Jul 2012
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi Dear your Q1 ,it could not be a muscular pain,this could be due to inflammation of the wisdom teeth ,which is referred to your jaw and neck .Get Dental check up done,you can wait for a hour