Pain in head, lump in skull, painful to touch, redness, feels hard. What is it?

Hi, couple of days ago I started having strange stabbing pain on the right of my head. Yesterday I discovered a lump on my scull in this place which is painful on its own and very tender to touch. It is red and feels quite hard. I have no recollection of banging my head. Could you tell me what could it be and should I consult my GP?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Dec 2012
Hello Ala Stevenson,

Thanks for posting,

From your description what you are descriping as lump on your skull is most probably due to an abscess ( still developing to a pus) and the pain from it can radiate to other areas of the head and feel like a headache or the stabbing pain you are describing.
Just take some NSAID and perhaps antibiotics such as amoxicillin, cloxacillin etc.
If it becomes softer and fluctuant, it means pus has probably collected and might need drainage. Treatment can even make the abscess to completely clear off with the need of an excition and drainage.
Other possibilities are cysts, fibromas etc.

Hope this helps