Pain in carotid artery area, burning and numbness in side of face. Sign of stroke?

I am experiencing burning/numb sensations, periodically, in the left side of my face and mostly around my mouth/ lips right now. Occasionally I will have warm-dripping sensation in my left arm/hand/face and pain in my carotid artery area. I fear a stroke but would the symptoms really carry on this long? i thought strokes would strike immediately or faster than this. I know of Ischemic attacks but last month I had this as well, and it went away for a while. I have nerve damage yet I cannot differentiate between a possible stroke, allergic reaction or nerve damage.
Asked On : Fri, 28 Dec 2012