Pain in back rib cage, spread to front, painful to breathing and laying down

I have just been woken in the night by severe pain in my back rib cage which has spread to the front (mainly right when laying down). It s painful to breathe in deeply and while uncomfortable just sitting is very painful when laying down.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
It looks to me that you may have developed acute sprain or spasm of rib muscles. I would suggest you to take diclofenec tablet and diclofenec gel over rib cage. Also take a warm shower if possible or apply hot water bottle. If pain persist, show it todoctor.