Pain around shoulder blade radiating to ribcage. Addicted to smoking. Could tumor be causing this?

Hello. My boyfriend has been dealing with pain around the shoulder blade and goes around to his ribcage and towards his underarm . It actually comes and goes. He has been doing stretches, using anti-inflammatory meds, been to the chiropractor, using heat, ice etc. Doesn t seem to be getting better and he cannot figure out what has caused it. He has had several massages as the muscles seem to get tight. He is a smoker and I recently saw a commercial that said something about some lung cancers can cause tumors that put pressure on the nerves and now I am worried. Would a tumor cause this type chronic pain?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013