Pain and tenderness in the lower ribs. Need medication to ease the pain

I have pain around lower left ribs and they are very tender to touch. I can just about get comfortable laid on my left side at night but any other position is impossible without a lot of pain...It was was worse last night following a meal and I think I might be constipated. Have gone without food today and it feels less painful. I m a male aged 65. It just started on its own woke up with discomfort left side the other morning. A warm hot water bottle certainly helped last night to reduce the pain...
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013
Dear Sir,

You are 65 years, you need to understand that these rib and if other bony pains you have can be dangerous.

This type of pain can be becuase of simply a contochondirtis, muscle spasm... but at your age it can be due to some malignancy like multiple myeloma.

Or it can be due to some bone fractures as a result of osteoporosis of old age..

My sincere advise to you is to get a chest x ray, ionized calcium level, vitamin d3 levels, hameogram with ESR.

Its always better to be sure.

Dr Anshul, MD