Pain and swelling in the wrist, history of injury in wrist. Suggestion?

Last night after work I developed moderate pain in my wrist and slight swelling but over the course of 24 hrs the pain and swelling have gotten significantly worse. I m not sure what I should do? My friends are telling me I have to get it checked out immediately because I broke my wrist in that area a few years ago. Can you give me some idea of what to doc
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013
Sports Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Mgraves28,
It is important to know how you injured the wrist. Did you fall onto your hand or bang your wrist directly ? This would certainly raise the possibility of bony injury.
However if no such injury has occurred, there are a number of soft tissue causes to explain the symptoms you describe.
Either way, you should get this assessed by a physician who will arrange further investigation as required.