Pain and swelling in the foot without injury. No fracture in the x-ray. Difficulty in walking. Causes?

Hi 6 days ago my foot started hurting for no reason, ive been limping around all week but its just getting worse now. Its swollen on top in the middle near my toes but my toes are fine. I went to a + e yesterday they did an xray but nothing was fractured so sent me home, couldnt tell me what was wrong :( cant walk it hurts too much. Help. Kerry
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would suggest you to show it to a orthopedic surgeon and get it examined. There can be a hair line fracture or a stress fracture, missed by A&E .I would also recommend you to take Brufen tablet for pain relief. Also apply Diclofenac ointment over foot and compression bandage. Keep your ankle elevated over pillow.