Overweight with a lump around the knee cap. Not able to exercise. Is it a tumor?

Hi, I have a lump/mass around my knee cap. I had an MRI and X-rays done on it. I was told there is no fluid or arthritis and that I needed to see an orthopedic specialist. So I did. He goes on to tell me he is pretty sure that it is a tumor but does not want to do anything to it (even biopsy it) until it gets to be the size of a softball. I am over weight so my knee is having a hard time with the mass and the weight. I have been trying to exersize but its hard to do in this much pain. What would you as a professional in this situation. What would you do just as an average joe?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013