On aprovel, experiencing coughing, breathlessness. What could be cause?

Dear doctor, I am a 35 yr old male. I am on Aprovel 300 mg to treat my high blood pressure . My pressure is controlled. I usually take half a quarter of a pill of Xanax or lexotanil before I sleep so that I could fall asleep fast. I am noticing that sometimes I wake up coughing and breathless as if I hadn t been breathing . I also noticed that this occurs usually when I sleep on my back. Your advise is highly appreciated, Thank you, Said
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013