Old aged, left had swollen, had couple of cat bites. How to reduce swelling?

Hi; I m concerned about my mom, 89, who the past few days has her left hand swollen when she wakes up in the morning. It stays this way thru much of the day. She does have congestive heart failure , is on blood pressure medication for atrial fib. She did have a couple of bites on the same arm from her cat about two weeks ago, that became red and itchy. My sister, pediatric nurse, had given her some sort of medication for the itch and it is better now. Is there anything that can help this and should we be concerned. She is homebound as she has light sensitivities, so to take her to the doctor is difficult.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013