Old age. Attention seeking, fond of having sicknesses. Why would someone act that way?

My mother is 80, will be 81 next month, and she has always had the need to be "SICK" for attention or whatever. We take her to the doctor and they don't find the problem that she says exists and then she gets mad and changes doctors. I don't believe it is just her age because I have known her to do this for at least 50+ years. I don't know how to handle it anymore because I know with age you can have problems, but, not ones that mimic EVERYONE else's current health problems. Each time someone gets sick, she suddenly has that same problem! We don't know then if something is REAL anymore. Where should I take her next?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
Welcome to HCM
I understand your concern
Please don't conclude anything.
Your mother is 81 and she is suffering from old age anxiety.
What she really need is affection and love from your side.
At least don't don't misunderstand her.
And don't hate her for this, because at our old age we are also bound to do the same.
The most you can do is to take her to a psychiatrist.
But I don't advice it.
Keep your mother happy, because once she did everything to keep you happy.
Wish her and you a happy life.