Obese, had sudden onset of sharp pain on upper side of chest radiating to arm, subsided with tapping the chest. Family history of heart disease. Is it a sign of heart attack?

I went walking this morning and as I was walking up a hill, I got a very sharp pain in the uppoer left hand side of my chest that sent pain down my left arm . After tapping on my chest a few minutes, the pain subsided but left me pretty shaken. I am 49, obese and my father died of heart disease at the age of 53. Could this have been a sign of having a heart attacK? I have a physical this coming Thursday and was wondering if I need to go sooner to the ER.
Asked On : Fri, 13 Jul 2012