Newborn child, suffering from stomach gas, liquid bowels. On similac newborn. Should we go to the ER?

My newborn of 3 weeks seems gassy. She has a bottle of Similac newborn about every 2-3 hours. She is having bowel movements, still liquid(some solids) and light brownish but right before she does she seems to be in alot of pain . There is usually a couple farts before the movement. I ve read about massaging around the belly button and other technique but wanted to know if i should take her to the emergency room or not? She seems to calm down after her last movement and is currently eating now.
Asked On : Wed, 21 Mar 2012
Hi, Welcome to Health care magic forum.
As you describe, it appears to be the lactose intolerance.
I advise you to consult a pediatrician for diagnosis and treatment. You may need to have the stools examined for reducing substances.
I usually prescribe to my patient with such symptoms soya milk powder,avoid mother milk, animal milk, or formula milk,if confirmed for lactose intolerance.
Prescribe, furazolidone, colicaid drops,and lactic acid bacilli.
Wishing for a quick and complete recovery. Thank you.