Nails of fingers and toes fell off in a span of a month, left with soft nail bed that does seem to grow, has frequent wheezing. Remedy?

my daughter s aged 6.5 years nails of finger and toes all fell down i a gap o 1 month, when she was 2 years old and only nailbed is there now which is very soft dark colored and not growing. She will be having the wheez attack at least twice in a year. Is this nail disorder related to wheez and how to deal with this. please do reply the remedy. From a depressed mother.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013
Dec 2013
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
As per your query your daughter's nails of fingers and toes fell off in a span of a month.
I can make out the best possibility of the chronic illness of lungs which is causing wheezing in your daughter and there fore is also the main cause in falling of nails.
To explain you simply our hair and nail growth depends upon the status of health of an individual. If there is any systemic illness then it is quite common to see falling of hair and nails. As I can get that the little girl is having wheezing so I can make out that it must be from some weeks to months period to cause the falling of nails.
Now you must meet a chest specialist/ pediatrician first to treat the problem of wheezing and then a dermatologist who can give some nutritional supplements for nail growth. The same nutritional supplements can also be given by the treating chest specialist as well as the pediatrician under whom you will take treatment for your daughter. Also give her best of nutritive food daily.
Rest assured your daughter will have beautiful nails again after proper treatment and good nutrition provided by you.
Hope this information helps you. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help.
"Wish you good health"
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)