My husband is suffering from Varicocele

My husband is suffering from Varicocele .Can u plz suggest us with treatment
Asked On : Sun, 21 Nov 2010
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Varicocele is a condition where the veins around testis enlarge and can cause increased heat to the testis. This can damage the testis because of ore heat. You need to make sure he gets required tests done like doppler, ultrasound to understand the type of varicocele. Keep any warm things away from the testis. He needs to have surgical removal of those veins as soon as possible for better chance at fertility as there is usually loss of fertility after long term varicocele. Do not delay in getting him the treatment.
General & Family Physician Dr. Chirag Soni's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
Varicocelectomy, the surgical correction of a varicocele, is performed.The three most common approaches are inguinal (groin), retroperitoneal (abdominal), and infrainguinal/subinguinal (below the groin). Various other techniques may be used. Ice packs should be kept to the area for the first 24 hours after surgery to reduce swelling. The patient may be advised to wear a scrotal support for some time after surgery.
An alternative to surgery is embolization,a minimally invasive treatment for varicocele that is performed by an interventional radiologist. This involves passing a small wire through a peripheral vein and into the abdominal veins that drain the testes. Through a small flexible catheter, the doctor can obstruct the veins so that the increased pressures from the abdomen are no longer transmitted to the testicles. The testicles then drain through smaller collateral veins. The recovery period is significantly less than with surgery and the risk of complications is minimised with overall effectiveness similar to surgery, yet with fewer recurrence rates.
Consult surgeon for further guidance.
Varicocele is normal in nearly 30% men.
Treatment is needed in persons who have significant scrotal pain or for couples suffering from sub-fertility.
For minor symptoms a good scrotal support is all that is needed.
For major problems surgical treatment is advocated. The surgery is performed on the inguinal area or on the upper scroyum. the surgery should be done with the magnification of an operating microscope.