My friend was found dead in a pool of blood kneeling face down. Was on heavy pain and HTN medication. No head or lung injury. What could be the most likely cause of bleeding?

My friend was found dead. We were told he was found kneeling face down into his sofa and that the cushions were saturated with blood and there was a "pool of blood" either under the sofa or under him (not sure). At any rate, he was 50 years old, on heavy pain medications, HTN meds and he regularly drank alcohol. I am unsure about any other medications or recreational drug use. I was told that he was not hit in the head, but I have no idea about llung injuries, etc. Is there any reason that a person would bleed that heavily upon or after death? Or is there something that would have caused that much bleeding (if the stories are accurate?). There is an autopsy being done but of course we are not immidiate family so I have no idea when we will actually hear. As of right now, there is no expected foul play. Any advise or thoughts would be appreciated.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013