Muscle cramps in thighs, painful. What is this?

Hi. For the past few months on and off I have these real bad muscle cramps in my thies. It goes away after my husband massages my legs, but this time the cramp has been her 3 days along with it I have some muscle spasm even while walking the spasms happen I have to stop cause it hurts so badly. What is this and should I go get checked at my doctors meaning its something to worry about
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Your description suggests that you are getting cramps in the thigh muscles.Cramps are painful spasms in a muscle and are often caused by overuse, dehydration, or nutritional deficiencies.
Following measure will help-
*Drink fluid-An electrolyte imbalance can be the cause of muscle spasms, so rehydrating with an electrolyte drink can help restore balance.
*Stretch the affected muscle with a mild, static stretch.
*Use ice to numb the pain in a cramp, reducing inflammation and allowing the muscle to relax.
*Bring the affected muscle into a relaxed position and apply direct compression to the cramp.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.