Multiple myeloma, mild pneumonia, sudden disorientation, fluid build up in chest, mouth and nose, death. Common when body prepares to die?

My dad just passed away last ight in the home. He suffered from multiple myeloma . Over time he started to decline as his body was not producing enough blood cells to fight infection. Yesterday was a great day, he ate a plate of food took a shower and maintained normal temp and blood sugar levels. Then after a few hours into the night. He became disoriented, shaky and unresponsive. He ad slight pneumonia , and the fluid kept build in his chest , mouth and nose . It was horrible to watch as I tried to relieve him. Why was there o much foam in the mouth and nose? Was he aware that he was choking and grasping for air? This was hard to see as a daughter, is this just part of what happens when a body is preparing to die ?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013