Moderate oesteoarthiritis in knees. Should I not walk upstairs?

I have moderate oesteoarthiritis in both knees.I have no swelling and heat generation there.Iam now 50 and i have been suffering from these desease for twenty years although I have to cover 150 Km almost daily by bus or train. I just perform quadriceps tight -loose exercise. Now I want to go upstair at least thrice in a day. But doctors are forbidding me? What should i do?
Asked On : Sun, 17 Jun 2012
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Osteoarthritis can be associated with significant pain and disability. Exercises that strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee would help stabilise the joint and may reduce pain.

Your doctors may be concerned that exercising up and down the stairs may cause further damage. In general low impact exercises are preferred.

You can ask your doctor for a referral to a exercise therapist or physiotherapist to get an idea of the appropriate exercises.

I hope this helps