Migraines, head pressure, C shaped light in eyes. Treatment options?

Hi I m 26 years old I get a lot of migraines and yesterday I experienced a sudden. C shaped light in my left eye and when I would look straight it. Was like t was just flashing even when I closed my eye it was still there after about 10 min I put eye wash in and it went away. But for the day I had like preaure in my head like I was going to get a headache it never came but I still had pressure what could this mean?
Asked On : Thu, 15 Nov 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms could suggest a visual aura, symptoms that could occur before a migraine headache episode. There is nothing to worry about, as the medications to prevent migraine would prevent them too.

You should be started on medications such as topiramate, divalproex or beta blockers to to reduce the severity and frequency of migraine episodes.

If symptoms persist or recur despite treatment, then, MRI of brain may be done.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: