Middle ear infection, flu-like illnesses, piercing eardrum the right treatment ?

Hi. My 9 month old son has a middle ear infection , as a result of a flu-like illness . He tugs regularly on his ears, although he does not seem in an distress. We took him to see an ENT who looked in his ear, then pierced his ear-drum. To me this seemed a very hasty and unprofessional thing to do, but I am told it is common practice where I am. Given nothing much came out and no anti-biotics were given, would you agree with my assessment? Especially given that the piercing of the drum was given without any controlled conditions...Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 14 Apr 2012