Metrasel in foot, swelling and bruise. Cramps in calf. Suggestions?

i got an air cast boot last thursday due to breaking 5th metarsel in my foot . foot a bit swollen and bruised but no real pain there...where i am suffering is with a calf has been 2 days, 2 nights of no sleep. It cramps up and is stuck for hours. i have been stretching from the heel, pulling my big toe back to stretch and wiggling toes, drinking there anything i can take or something else i should be doing? should it be totally elevated? doctor said i should be able to walk gradually over next 7 - 10 days but this calf cramp is excrutiating...hurt more than the break itself.
Asked On : Sat, 10 Nov 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

As per your description, I assume that you are more concerned with cramps than your metatarsal fracture.

Activities that might help relieve leg cramps include:
• Flexing your foot up toward your head
• Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice
• Walking or jiggling the leg
• Taking a hot shower or warm bath
• Daily oral supplements of Calcium and Potassium
• Avoid foods acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day