Metal plates and pins in ankle, pain in ankle and lower leg, problem in walking. What is the cause and cure?

Hi, I have a metal plate and pins in my ankle which I broke 10 years ago. I have had no problems until know. for the last 6 days I have been getting a pain in my lower leg and ankle which has been getting worse each day. It is uncomfortable walking and even when my leg is resting. Today I have a swollen area where the metal plate is, which is also warm to touch. The pain has become throbing and contant. Can you tell me what may be going on? Will I need to have the hardware removed?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013