Massive impact to the inside of left shin in rugby, swollen and tender. Iced it, still large. How long to heal ?

hello, im a 28year old girl who stupidly plays rugby, I got a massive impact to the inside of my left shin on saturday afternoon, it swelled up a lot directly and after icing has gone down but its still rather large, the bruise hasnt really come out though its brown/yellow and very very tender. Will this just take ages to go down or do I need to get it looked at? My GP has a 5 week wait for an appointment. I'm walking like John Wayne at the moment :-(
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Hi and thanks for the query,
the duration of the illness depends on the intensity of the impact, and on the early institution of an appropriate therapy. On your case, I think the therapeutic measures that were employed were very appropriate. For now, using a topic anti inflammatory drug and analgesics should be sufficient in controlling symptoms. Monitoring of the intensity of the pain and reporting any abnormal symptoms to your physician is to be greatly considered. I think the 5 weeks period given for a reevaluation is appropriate. In case of intensification or persistence of symptoms, a reevaluation and appropriate X rays or scans could then be carried out.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.