MRI showed diffused cerebral atrophy with ischemic degeneration. Can it lead to inability to speak and weakness?

Hello, my dad is 50 yrs old and his MRI scan report show presence of a diffused cerebral atrophy with ischemic degeneration. Since some months he is showing strange signs like not being able to speak or write clearly. Many times he falls down on the ground without any push or pull, just like that and quite forcefully. Since 5yrs we have been residing to a new town where my college was. Now when my degree is completed we have come back to our previous place. He had faced many problems with the project he had dealt with 1yr ago and after that he hadn t worked. Moreover, he was soon left with no money at all & during this time one day a community member insulted him and almost forced him to pay some 0000 rupees of water bill (overstated by the man & we are not entitled for his forced services) but he had no money so couldn t pay anything. Now he started fearing going out and because of having no work he remains at home at all times of the day unless we take him with us outside for some work. It was then that we came back to the previous city. Now he got some money because of certain previous investments but his condition isn t improving. I took him out to 2 colleges to work as a faculty but because of the above symptoms, both the colleges didn t show any interest after a demo lecture. When he falls down on the ground time and again we get very scared because he may hurt himself seriously this way. I can t understand whats wrong with him & how to cope up with the problem. Please suggest some remedies.
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013