MRI on lower back shows wear and tear changes. Meaning? Have back pain

I just had an mri done yesterday on my lower back and the assistant of the doctor called and told me that I have wear and tear changes in my L5 S1 and a disc tear in L4. She went on to say to do the Pelvic Thrust exercise and to purchase a lower lumbar roll for my back when sitting. What does this mean? When I lay flat in the MRI I had severe back pain and it was painful to walk or sit, so how is this exercise and roll going to help when I am laying flat in bed?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013