Lung, ribs, spinal cancer, breathlessness. Taking dexamethasone, prescribed medication for chest infection. Will oxygen help?

My father is stage 4 cancer.. lung , rib, spine . Last of 5 radiation treatments to the ribs on Jan 15. Is on very little medication, however is taking 2 mg of dexamethasone 2 times daily. His breathing has become shallow and is not coughing up as much phlegm as in the past. Family doctor has suggested an antibiotic for chest infection. Dad is being cared for at home. I think he need oxygen as a comfort measure. What do you think?
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013