Lung congestion, taking deep breaths, breathing in fur of pet cat. Treatment?

For the past three years, I have noticed that my first big breath in the morning is raspy and heavy. I can feel crud in my lungs. I have been an off and on smoker since I was 10 years old. I m now 24. I also have a cat that sheds a lot of fur all over my apartment, and who I am mildly allergic to. I m not sure if the cause of this uneasy breathing in the morning is due to my years of smoking or a fur allergy . What do you think and if it s caused by the cat, what can I do to reduce this irritation other than getting rid of my cat?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012