Lump on neck, tender, getting larger in size. Family history of cancer. Suggestions?

I have a lump on the right side of my neck. It is hard and sometimes tender to the touch. I have first noticed this about 3 months ago and I think it may have gotten slightly larger over this time. I am a 31 year old woman and, yes, I do smoke about a pack a day. I am just wondering if this is something that I should have checked out by my regular physician? I do not feel this lump on the other side of my neck. I have a family history of cancer (my father had prostate cancer and I had an aunt that had breast cancer).
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013