Lump on left side of rib cage, tender, painful, cancer ?

Hi, I am a 54 year old woman. I am healthy and thin. I recently had a cbc for some gastro problems. Blood came out normal. Sunday 4/15/12 after my usual workout I took a shower and felt an o obvious lump on the left side of my rib cage. Its tender and painful. I didn t have lump Saturday. No other symptoms so far. Could this be cancer of some sought and what kind of doctor should I see. Thank you for your expeditious response.
Asked On : Thu, 19 Apr 2012
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM,thank you for your query.
In most cases this is just benign subcutaneous tumor and cancer is the last thing to think of. If there is any suspect of malugnancy you should do ultrasound with biopsy to rule this out.but as I said this is usually just lipoma,fibroma or muscle injury.
Wish you good health. Regards