Lump on gum of teeth, tender, swollen, had abscess and infection before. Is it abscess or blister from hot food?

Hello:

A few days ago, a tender lump appeared on the gum area of my lower front teeth. For the first day or two it was difficult to bite food because the area was very tender and swollen. I though maybe I had scalded the area with hot food earlier so that's why the lump appeared. Today I notice the size has decreased but I am concerned that it may be an abscess. I had very serious abscess and infection recently and don't want to go through that again. Since it's in the front of my mouth it's hard to leave it alone. Could it be an abscess or a blister from the hot food? I have a dental appointment coming up but I wanted to discuss it before my appointment.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013