Lump in throat, unable to swallow, cant cough it out, ball of phlegm. History of seasonal allergies. How can I cure it?

Yesterday,before I went to sleep ,I felt this lump in my throat which feels like a ball of phlegm .I can barely swallow & I can still feel it even when I m just sitting here,not talking or swallowing .I went to bed,hoping it d be gone in the morning.However,it wasn t.I tried coughing it up but barely any,if any at all,came up;it feels as if it s too far down in my throat to cough up.I m drinking tea right now to see if that will melt it away,but it doesn t seem to be helping. I should probably mention that I have seasonal allergies ,which are active currently,but my allergies have never caused me to have phlegm before,so I don t think the allergies are causing it.Besides trying to cough it up(which doesn t help anyway),what else can I do to try to dissolve it or push it down?
Asked On : Sun, 29 Apr 2012