Lump in neck near cartoid artery. Scheduled for ultrasound. What can it be?

My daughter is ten years old and has had a lump in the side of her neck near the carotid artery for approximately 2 years. It is approximately 3/4 of an inch in diameter and very hard. She does not complain of it hurting, but I am very concerned with this. We have seen an oncologist who after checking her told us just to watch for changes in it. It has started to grow a bit and our PCP is now concerned about it again. We are scheduled for an ultrasound of the neck this week. Should I be really concerned and what can it possibly be?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013