Lower back pain when waking up in morning. unable to sit, bend. Cause?

My Dad has lower back pain , specifically in the morning when he wakes up, it lasts for about 2hours and then he is fine. he cannot bend down in this time to put his socks on or anything - however it gets worse when he goes to the toilet to the point sometimes he cannot speak - almost like he is winded. He has seen a nurse and they have prescribed some ibuprofen gel to rub on the affected area, however I m not satisfied with this as this doesn t tell us what is wrong or how to stop it happening. He has had warm baths before he goes to bed, hot water bottles, sleeping in different positions and with a pillow in between his legs, stopped strenuous work and driving the mini bus he usually has to take a step up to get into. Just wondering if you can shed some light, I personally thing its a trapped nerve...but im not a doctor!!
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013